Who We Hire
Mid-Island Day Camp provides a safe place for kids to learn, grow, and explore. We are looking for staff like you to join our team. Whether you are in high school, college or beyond, Mid-Island Day Camp wants to give you the opportunity to help our campers learn about themselves. If you’ve been to camp before, or haven’t, Mid-Island is a family that you are going to want to be a part of! Our staff members serve a variety of roles throughout the camp day. We are looking for counselors, group leaders, swim instructors, EMT’s, and more. Please complete an online application and we will be in touch for a face to face conversation about how we can give you the best summer ever.
We are currently hiring for the following positions. Don’t see something you think you fit in to? Reach out to us to learn about other positions that we may be looking to fill!
- Junior Counselors are any young adult who is going to be entering 11th grade in September following the summer. As a junior counselor, you are responsible for working as a team with your co-counselors. Our groups will range in size and have an appropriate number of counselors depending on the age of the campers.
- Seniors Counselors are entering 12th grade and beyond. These counselors become the leaders in the group. Senior counselors are looked at as the leader of the group. They are responsible for time management as well as keeping their group on task.
- Group/Division Leaders are entering their senior year of college and beyond. A group leader is assigned to one group whereas a division leader might have two or more groups in the same age range. The primary responsibilities of group and division leaders are to oversee and supervise their assigned group of campers. These staff members are also responsible for organizing information about their campers and communicating with parents
- Specialists are staff members who excel in a specific area of focus. These include sports, arts, dance, etc. A specialist will be assigned to their area of focus and will see all groups of campers throughout the summer.
- Swim instructors are responsible for a group of campers who have been swim tested and assigned a swim level. They would be focused on their group and helping them improve on skills based on their level.
- Nurses and EMTs must be certified prior to the start of camp. They would oversee the health and well being of our campers.
**For those entering 9th and 10th grade who are looking for an opportunity to gain experience working with our camper, please CLICK HERE to learn about our Apprentice and CIT programs (link to the apprentice and CIT page.)
The Mid-Island Day Camp offers equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of race, creed, sex, or national origin. All staff candidates must complete a job application form along with three references and a background check. All staff members will be interviewed in person, but a phone interview will be allowable if distance is prohibitive. The Day Camp’s job offer will be made by the issuing of a Camp Employment Contract for the applicant to sign. Counselors must be free from communicable diseases.